After devouring the internet for the best ways to potty train my husky, I found the following works the best.
1. Buy a crate!
- Crate training is a very effective way to potty train your husky. This is because dogs naturally do not want to go to the bathroom where they sleep.
- My husky River absolutely loves her crate. It is a safe den like setting for her. To get your husky to enjoy a crate, get a treat and place it in the crate. When the husky goes to investigate it, just let the dog eat the treat. Praise the dog for going in the crate. Do this a few times. Whenever you see your husky getting sleepy, place the husky in the crate to sleep.
- The first night the husky may whine a bit. Tough love is required here. Ignore it.
- Make sure that you limit food and water early in the evening, then take the husky out to the bathroom before bedtime. If you have a puppy, they will probably need to go out again around 4 in the morning, so be ready to take them out.
2. A bell on the door works great.
- Buy a bell and hang it on the door that you will be taking your husky out of. Make sure you ring the bell every time you leave for a bathroom trip. Your husky will learn quickly that ringing the bell means going outside to use the bathroom.
- When your husky rings the bell on her own, make sure you give the dog a treat and praise it.
3. Reward your husky for good behavior.
- Whenever your husky goes to the bathroom outside, give the dog a treat. It is up to you to find out what kind of treat your husky likes best. Do they like food rewards, or playtime?
- A clicker could also be a good idea for when your dog successfully goes to the bathroom outside.
4. Never punish your husky for accidentally going to the bathroom inside!
- While upsetting that your husky just peed inside, punishing your husky will have a negative effect on trying to housebreak your dog.
- More than likely, your puppy gave some kind of sign that they needed to go to the bathroom. Learn these signs. This means actively watching your husky and learning their behaviors.
5. Limit their food and water.
- If you limit your huskies food and water to certain times of the day, you have greater control of when your husky will need to go to the bathroom.